Saturday, June 30, 2012

Alien Handprints

Our last Space craft has to do with aliens! I saw these cute alien handprints over at Red Ted's Art Blog. As each child got dropped off in the morning, I painted their hand. They got to choose how many fingers would be painted. Within an hour or so they were all dry and the kids could add wiggle eyes and draw the rest of their alien.


They turned out so cute, and what kid doesn't like talking about and creating aliens?! I also brought in astronaut ice cream for the kids to try. (I bought it through Amazon.)
They all loved it. I don't think adults would feel the same way, though. And before I officially end my space unit posts, I wanted to tell you about a couple books I read.
Space Robots and Why Isn't Pluto a Planet? Pluto hasn't been a planet since before the kids in my class were born, but I still told them all about it. And the books are geared toward older children (ages 6 and up), but I read them anyway because they are written by my brother! I already mentioned I have a brother in Houston that designs robots for NASA, but I also have another brother in Tucson, AZ, who is an astronomer. He's written several non-fiction children's books about space (through series like First Facts and Incredible Space). You can find them here. They aren't the cheapest books (my brother donated a bunch to me and other family members), but maybe you can find them in your local library.
I hope you enjoyed my space unit!

3 comments:

Love and Lollipops said...

oh love love love the alien handprints - very cute!

Melissa said...

Those little aliens are great! I love the idea of sharing space food to the little astronauts too! I was inspired by your space theme so we went to visit the Canberra Deep Space Communication Centre which works in partnership with NASA. Both kids thought it was awesome and so did my husband for that matter! So I am looking forward to doing a few space things with the kids too! Thanks for sharing :)

Melissa said...

I am hosting link party called Keeping it Real: a non-fiction reading adventure. It would be great if you could share your post with us.
http://honeybeebooksblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/keeping-it-real-our-non-fiction-reading.html