Friday, June 29, 2012

Wishing Stars

Star Light, Star Bright.
First star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.

You remember that poem, right? I recited it for my kids and only a few of them recognized it. After learning about the sun, our closest star, we painted our own wishing stars. I drew several stars using a template I had.
The kids used fingerpaints to paint their star. We used paint brushes with the fingerpaint because it's so much brighter than the regular paint. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the spoons after I scooped out the paint!
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's so pretty!
After painting the stars, the kids used my little glitter shakers to add a touch of sparkle.
When they were dry, I cut them out.
Then I asked each child what their wish would be. I'm not going to lie to you. It didn't go well. And it took FOREVER! Most of the children didn't really understand, and it was so hard to explain it without giving an example. (I knew if I gave an example, they would just use that as their wish.) The best I could come up with was, "If your fairy godmother came down and used her magic wand to give you anything you wanted, what would it be?" But even that's not great because it leads them toward picking an object, when a wish could really be about anything. So anyway, I wrote down their answers on a little card and displayed them next to their stars in the hallway. (I wanted to write directly on the star, but with the glitter and all I didn't think it would work that well.)

I also printed out the poem and hung that up with the stars.
I think another cool idea would be to use glow-in-the-dark paint on the stars! It just might be dark enough in our hallway during nap time that it would work!
I have one more Space craft to share with you tomorrow. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Maro Oikonomou said...

Very pretty! I love the wall you put all the stars it looks dreamy!