Monday, June 18, 2012

Handprint Campfires

We started our camping unit today. I brought in a little tent for the dramatic play area. The kids can go fishing and roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories around the fire! I will show you that tomorrow. Today we used our handprints to make a little campfire.
The kids started by tearing brown construction paper into strips. Then they glued them to the bottom of white paper. (I would have loved to do this on black paper to make a night-time fire, but the paint wouldn't have shown up.)

They glued their fire logs in overlapping positions. Once they were done with that, they could do the fun part -- make the fire! I put orange and yellow paint onto paper plates. The kids just had to press their hands in the paint.
Then they made a bunch of handprints above the logs.

I love how each one looks different.


They had a lot of fun with this project!

**Linking up to the parties on my sidebar!**

10 comments:

Melissa said...

No wonder your class had fun with this project - it's so easy and adorable. Thanks for sharing :)

skubby1@aol.com said...

WOW this so simple and awesome. You are one creative lady. I am definitely going to use this in our camp out theme week. I can't wait to get my site fully active so I can send you are completed projects and give you full credit.Thank you and God Bless. Mrs. Valerie
www.happydayspreschoolonline.com

Maro Oikonomou said...

I love it! It is so easy and so creative!

Betsy said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This is so cute!! What a fun idea!

Beth =)

Suzanne said...

These are GREAT! I want to do a camping theme just so we can make these!

Carrie said...

Oh, I love these!! It caught my eye when I looked at the Sharing Saturday grid--I should have known it came from you. I remember seeing it before but I was away that day so I didn't keep up with reading the posts. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Anonymous said...

Very unique my class did it today!!!!

Unknown said...

I like this idea..it has inspired me to create a lesson around this craft.

Thanks,

Charlotte

Charlotte's Clips and Kindergarten Kids

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your handprint campfire! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/handprint-campfire/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!