Thursday, June 28, 2012

Glittery Moon Dough

I've been seeing lots of moon dough recipes out there and since we are learning about Space this week, I thought I would finally give it a try. I used 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of baby oil. Boy, were my hands soft and smooth after mixing it all together!! I also sprinkled in some silver glitter. It didn't quite make as much as I wanted, so I made a half batch more, but this time instead of baby oil, I used vegetable oil. The vegetable oil batch wasn't as silky and smooth as the baby oil batch, but I really could only tell if I was touching both at the same time. So I mixed the two together. I have little PlayMobile astronauts and I got some aliens from a cake decorating store, so I put those in the sensory bin with the moon dough.
The kids LOVED this stuff. Even I enjoyed playing in it! I put down a plastic table cloth to catch anything that fell out, but I still had a big mess on the floor. But it all vacuumed up easily.
The moon dough sticks together just like wet sand so the kids could make all kinds of things with it. It supposedly never dries out. We'll see about that!
I must warn you, though, that if you have little ones who still put things in their mouths, make sure you use the vegetable oil instead of baby oil. My kids are old enough to know that, but I still watched them like a hawk. And I made sure they washed their hands after they played in it. If you are going to use baby oil, try to get an unscented kind. I was overwhelmed with the smell when I made it, but the kids didn't seem to mind! At least, none of them said it smelled like a baby!

**Linking up to For the Kids Friday!**

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks like lots of fun! We enjoy playing with it too but it's just like sand - it gets everywhere!

Room 214-Ms. Wenzel's Blog said...

Fun, Creative, and Educational!!
A+ activity!

Unknown said...

I will do this for my grandson, Many thanks for sharing.
Gracias,
Marisol