Thursday, January 12, 2012

Snowy Owls

Ahhh!! I can't wait to share our latest polar animal craft with you!
So stinkin' cute! I saw an amazing owl craft at I Heart Crafty Things. They weren't snowy owls, but it gave me an idea. They used pom poms to make the owls, so I went down to our storage room to find big pom poms and found these instead:
PERFECT! So what I did was put some white paint onto plates to use with these brushes. I also put out some brown paint with regular brushes because many snowy owls have brown spots.
The kids took the mesh sponges and dabbed them up and down on their paper, first making a small "blob" and then a bigger blob underneath.
The key to making them look fluffy was the up and down motion. I also cut out yellow circles, because snowy owls have yellow eyes, and brown triangles for beaks. The kids drew in black spots on the eyes and put them on their owl's face. We didn't need any glue because the paint was still wet. Then they took the paint brush and put brown spots on their owl.

I considered using fingerprints for this, but decided not to. Then they took the mesh sponge again and brushed it along the bottom of their paper. I added some glue to this so it was extra sticky.
I got out my fake snow that I had at home for Christmas crafts
and the kids sprinkled it on top of the glue/paint for a snowy scene.
I think the whole owl covered in this fake snow would actually be very cute! Maybe next time. I couldn't resist taking a bunch of pictures because each owl was so dang adorable! Check 'em out:




Don't they just make you smile? I think we might have to do something similar when we make chicks in the spring.
On a side note, we learned about the letter S today so we had "Silly Sock-n-Slipper Day!"


Mine's the big frog slipper, of course. And check out these slippers. One mom made them with her son the night before!
Love them! It was a perfect day for slippers, too. We had our first big snow storm of the season. Yesterday it was in the 50s, today was cold and snowy. Go figure.

Fun Fact: Unlike most owls, Snowy Owls hunt during the day. They are most active at dawn and dusk.

**Linking up to Sharing Saturday and Momstown Arts and Crafts!**

8 comments:

Steps to Serenity said...

You have the cutest ideas! I love them all!

Unknown said...

These definitely brought a huge smile to my face!! Such an awesome idea Betsy!

Unknown said...

Oh so adorable!! Love it.

Stopping in from Sharing Saturday.

Lisa said...

Just stopping by from Sharing Saturday! These little owls are adorable! My preschooler will definitely enjoy trying this craft out! I'm your newest follower on GFC!

Lisa
Criss-Cross Applesauce

MiaB said...

This is soooo cute!!! I love that you used the sponges, it brought an extra creative and fun element to the craft. I'm your newest follower.. thanks so much for sharing this with our readers at Sharing Saturday.

~MiaB
www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

Ally @momstownmedia said...

Gorgeous - how smart to use those 'puffs' to paint with! I'll have to dig mine out!
Thanks for linking up to momstown arts and crafts!

Ally @momstownmedia said...

You were our top feature after the linky party! Loved the snowy owl!
http://momstown-artsandcrafts.momstown.ca/node/523

NouNouLili said...

Thank you for this idea !! It's very cut, I love

NouNouLili
http://lespetitsloulousbricoleurs.centerblog.net