Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hickory Dickory Dock Mice

We made the cutest little mice today! I tried to keep it mostly about shapes. I made triangles, ovals, and circles.
The yarn is for the tail. And I also put out little pink pom poms and colorful wiggle eyes.
The kids glued the yarn to the back of the oval.
Then they flipped it over and glued the triangle on the other end of the oval.
 Next they glued on the little circles, eyes, and pom pom.
Very simple, right? But as I was getting this craft ready yesterday, I thought it was a little boring just to make a mouse and send it home. So I thought about it for awhile and decided what these mice needed was a big clock on which to climb! So I printed out a clock face, drew in the hands to say 1 o'clock, and glued it to brown construction paper. Then I cut some curves into another piece of brown paper and added it to the top.
Then I used a big roll of white paper to make the body of the clock and colored it in with a crayon. I used yellow construction paper for the pendulum and I added gold glitter to the edges.
And one more piece of brown construction paper on the bottom completed the clock.
Here it is all put together.
Then I began to add the mice.
Uh-oh! I think I should have made a bigger clock!
But it sure looks cute, doesn't it?
And to think I was just going to have them glue the mouse onto a piece of paper! Yawn.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, I wish you had posted these before our nursery rhyme themed birthday party this past weekend. I would have definitely used it as a craft to do. Oh, well. We had plenty of activities anyway.

Betsy said...

I know, I was just a few days too late. Sorry!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the idea ! I was looking for a mouse the kids could make themselves for Hickory Dickory Dock project ! Tying in the shapes is perfect !! :)