Friday, October 5, 2012

Doctor's Kit

To end our Community Helper week, we learned about EMTs. (E was also our letter of the week so it worked out great!) I decided the kids could make little doctor's kits that I've seen several places online. But instead of using real items (I didn't want to "waste" our first aid supplies), I found clip art of different medical supplies and printed them out on one piece of paper. (UPDATE: If you want a free copy of this, please e-mail me at tippytoecrafts@gmail.com!)
That "toilet paper roll" (as my husband called it) is gauze, and my kids called the bandage wrap a sleeping bag! First the kids colored all the pictures.
Then they grabbed a doctor's bag (which I made by folding construction paper in half so it would open up), a white circle and two red rectangles.
They glued the circle and made a red cross on the front of the bag.
Then they cut out all their medical supplies.
They did a great job and never complained, even though it was a lot of cutting!
Finally, they opened their bags and glued all the pieces inside.
It was easiest to glue the two big pieces down first, then glue the smaller items around them.
On the handle of the bag, I wrote the child's name with "Dr" in front of it.

They turned out very cute and the kids got lots of fine motor practice!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, so cute!! I love them!

Maro Oikonomou said...

Great craft as always! I love how they glued the doctor's tools inside the kit! I am so saving this and doing it later in the year!

Angela said...

Do you have the tools patern? Ive searched the web high and low and I cant find anything...

Betsy said...

Angela, I do have the sheet, but I don't know how to add a PDF to my post. You can click on the picture, save it to your desktop and print it that way. If the quality isn't good, you can always e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
tippytoecrafts@gmail.com
I've had other people request this, too, so I really need to learn how to insert a printable! Sorry!

Unknown said...

Try to screen shot it and then post

Betsy said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Sonia. I can try that. E-mailing the printable is working fine for now.

Unknown said...

Please email me a copy of the supplies!! Live this idea.

Betsy said...

Regarding the comment above, you need to email me directly because your email does not show up in the comment info. Then I'd be glad to send you the PDF.
tippytoecrafts@gmail.com