Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bats

I was visiting a wonderful blog, Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas, and I was inspired by some bat art she did with her class. I immediately knew I wanted to try something similar with mine. I found a big bat sponge among our art supplies at my center.
Because I only had one, only one child at a time could do the art project. But that's okay. I had plenty of other activities out to keep the kids busy. The bat sponge was placed on a black piece of construction paper. I put some white tempera paint in a spray bottle and added water. The kids sprayed the paint onto their paper, covering the bat as well.
It was a very thick sponge, so we made sure to spray from all sides. Then I took the sponge off and the kids used a Q-tip to paint eyes on the bat.

We used glow-in-the-dark paint.
These turned out SO COOL! I love them! The white dried to almost a light gray, but that's OK. It was like a bat swooping through the air on a foggy night!

And check out this 4-eyed bat:
When they were dry, we went into the bathroom, "charged" our bats, turned the lights off and saw them glow! It was fun!

No comments: