Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Little Piggies!

We learned about pigs yesterday and did a simple (but cute!) craft to go along with it. I cut out circles in two different sizes for the head and body. I also cut out ear shapes -- basically rounded triangles. And I set out pink pipe cleaners, pom poms and cotton balls.
The first thing the kids did was glue the ears to the back of the little circle. Then they glued on either a pom pom or a cotton ball for the snout.
The reason we used both pom poms and cotton balls was because I didn't have enough of either one. But I am glad that happened because now they don't all look exactly the same! Then the kids glued on wiggle eyes and black dots for the nostrils. I made the black dots with a hole punch.
Finally, they wrapped a pipe cleaner around their finger to make a curly tail. Then we let the heads dry for awhile.
See? So cute, right? When the glue was dry, I used masking tape to attach the tail to the back of the big circle.
Then the kids glued on the head and added a mouth with a marker. I also bent the ears down a bit.
As cute as they were (don't you love their sweet faces?), they didn't seem complete. So this morning I quickly made some legs by cutting out small rectangles with a tiny triangle cut out of the bottom. Then I colored the bottom black.
There -- much better! I hung them on the wall with the quote, "And this little piggy cried 'wee wee wee' all the way home!"
Each pig seems to have its own personality! So cute!!


Fun Fact: Pigs are actually clean animals. They only roll around in the mud to keep cool. So if a pig is always in a cool or covered environment, it will be clean!

**Linking up to the parties on my sidebar!**

9 comments:

Melissa said...

They are so "oinkingly" cute!

Unknown said...

Love them!

Betsy said...

Haha, Melissa! :0)

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely adorable. We are definitely going to be making these. You are a true inspiration. God Bless. Mrs. Valerie
www.happydayspreschoolonline.com
(still in the making)

mermaid said...

Cuties :)

Sarah said...

I love the one with the tilted head... "huh?" and the ones with the ears sticking out to the sides! Very cute Bets.

Meaningful Mama said...

I love this. These are absolutely adorable pigs. Great idea. Thanks! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

Ness @ One Perfect Day said...

These are so cute! Thanks for linking up with The Weekly Kid's Co-op.

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your piggie project! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/little-piggies/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!