Wednesday, July 13, 2011

End-of-Year Display


Here is another idea for a class display. I've used this during graduation in May as well as at the end of summer. I don't have a picture of my display, but it's pretty simple. I used the poem called "Just Playing." There are a few versions out there, but the one I used appears further down in this post. I divided the poem into paragraphs, printed them out, and taped them onto bright green paper.

Then I took pictures of the kids doing things that corresponded with what's mentioned in the poem. For example, kids building with blocks, painting, playing in dramatic play, running on the playground, using a magnifying glass to look at bugs, and so on. Then I taped those pictures to colorful paper as well and hung them up next to the appropriate paragraph. The parents just loved it. Here's the entire poem:

When I'm building and stacking the blocks,
Please don't say that I'm "just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be an architect some day.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, or caring for babies,
Don't get the idea I'm "just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a mother or father some day.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint, standing at an easel, or molding clay,
Please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be an artist or inventor some day.

When you see me sitting in a chair reading to an imaginary audience,
Please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a teacher some day.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs or packing my pockets with things I find,
Don't pass it off as "just play."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a scientist some day.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run, and move my body,
Please don't say I'm "just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete some day.

When you ask what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played."
Please don't misunderstand me.
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work.
I'm preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I am a child and my work is play.

A similar thing I've done is a Dr. Seuss display. I chose certain parts from Oh, the Places You'll Go and did the exact same thing as above. I made the title with large stencils and printed the rest on my computer.
I just chose the parts I thought were appropriate, changed KID to KIDS, and added a little personal note at the end. I went though all the pictures I took from that year and displayed a whole bunch. Here are the parts of the book I chose:

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
Any direction you choose.
You're on your own, and you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
You're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
Who soar to high heights.

On and on you will hike,
And I know you'll hike far,
And face up to your problems,
Whatever they are.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KIDS, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

I hope these inspire you to put together a wonderful end-of-year display!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the "just playing" poems! I will be sharing them with the K teachers at my school for sure!

Betsy said...

Glad you liked it. Thanks for visiting!

Carrie M. said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!! The poem and Seuss book have been favorites of mine for awhile and now you've given me a creative way to share them with the kids and parents! Thank you :)