Saturday, February 2, 2013

Falling Hearts

I received an e-mail from CraftProjectIdeas.com asking if I'd be interested in receiving some free craft supplies to use with my class. Um...YES, PLEASE! I am always using my own money to buy things for my classroom, so every little bit helps. (Thanks, Rachel from I HEART CRAFTY THINGS, for recommending me!) I was very excited when I received my shipment and saw these heart felt stickers:
They came just in time for Valentine's Day projects! I've also seen these in craft stores, and you don't even need the self-adhesive hearts for the craft we did. Using glue would work just as well. I started by taping down the two ends of fishing line to the table. If you used string or yarn, just taping one end would be fine, but fishing line is very curly so we needed both ends taped. Then the kids picked 4 hearts and put them in the order they wanted them on their line.
Then they peeled the back off the top heart and put it upside down under the fishing line, so the sticky part was facing up.
I helped lift the line if they needed me to. Then they found another heart that was the same size, peeled the backing off and put it on top of the other heart, with the fishing line between the two.
I set this project up at a little table so two friends could work on it at a time because I thought they would need my help more. But they all did a great job and I hardly had to do anything! When they were done with all 4 hearts (using 8 heart stickers total), I cut the remainder of the fishing line off the bottom and hung them from our windows. I wrote their name on the piece of tape.
It turned out to be a very simple project that added a beautiful decoration to our classroom.
I like how the fishing line "disappears" and the hearts look like they are falling or floating!

**Linking up to the parties on my sidebar!**

4 comments:

Carrie said...

So cute!! I love them!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase!

Anonymous said...

This is a really cute way to use the stickers. I did something similar, but without the string, to make freight for my son's wooden trains this week (http://play-trains.com/easy-diy-valentine-freight-for-wooden-trains/) and it could be fun to make a garland like this with the layered hearts I did on my project. I love the way the doubled up stickers feel. I might have to use the rest of our stickers to make this!

Carrie said...

I love them!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!