Saturday, April 5, 2014

Hand and Footprint Bunny Craft

Since I had such a small class on Friday, I decided to have the kids make a craft that involved both hand and footprints. And with Spring finally here and Easter not too far off, bunnies seemed like the perfect thing to make.
I've seen these kinds of crafts all over, but since it was a last-minute craft I needed to do it from memory, so it might be a little different than what's already out there. I started by painting both feet of each child. I painted the outside and toes white and used pink for the middle. Once that was all done, I painted both hands of each child. Again, I painted the outside and finger tops white and painted the palm and a little bit up each finger pink. I decided not to paint their thumbs.
We made our prints on white construction paper so the white paint didn't show up great, but you could still tell they were hand and footprints. When they dried I cut them all out. In the meantime, the kids made bunny faces out of mini paper plates. They drew on a mouth and whiskers with markers and then glued on neon wiggle eyes and a pom pom for a nose (if they wanted to -- one girl drew the nose).
For the body of the bunny, I used an egg shape. I already had a few cut out that were leftovers from a different project so it was perfect.
I cut out little front paws and outlined them in pink so they'd stand out more. The kids glued those onto the bunny body.
Then they glued on their hand prints on the bottom, kind of slanting out. These become the bunny's feet, as if he was sitting on his bottom with his legs out in front of him.
When the bunny faces were dry, the kids used double stick tape to attach the head to the body and the footprints (ears) to the head. I imagined them all with ears sticking up, but some kids wanted floppy ears, and those turned out so cute!

Aren't they both adorable?! I hung them up right outside our door.
I missed all the spring/easter crafts last year because I was on maternity leave. So this year it's really exciting to be decorating our room. I love this time of year!

No comments: