Wednesday, June 1, 2011

From Caterpillar to Butterfly

A few weeks ago my co-teacher did a bug unit. A parent of one of our kids brought in an Insect Lore ladybug and butterfly kit. I've done the butterfly kit many times with my class (although it's been a few years) but I've never done the ladybug kit. I ordered everything online with the coupons that came with the kit. It didn't cost me a cent. When they arrived, I set them up in our classroom for everyone to see. I put a "Please do not touch" sign next to them as well.
First there were caterpillars in a cup, but once they made their chrysalids I moved them to the butterfly garden.
The ladybug larvae stay in their dome the whole time (until we release them).
It's a wonderful thing for the children to experience. To go along with this, I made a poster of the life cycle of a butterfly. Again, I've only done the butterfly kit in the past and I made this poster years ago. That is why I don't have one for the ladybugs.
There's a song called "Pretty Butterfly." It goes to the tune of "Up On The Housetop."

First comes a butterfly
Who lays an egg.
Out comes a caterpillar
With many legs.
Oh, see the caterpillar
Spin and spin
A little chrysalis to sleep in.
Oh, oh, oh, look and see.
Oh, oh, oh, look and see.
Out of the chrysalis, my oh my,
Out comes a pretty butterfly!

I put that song on the poster as well as pictures of each stage. Then I made an arrow and the kids get to move the arrow when the butterfly begins a new stage in the cycle.

If you've never done one of these kits with your students, you should think about it. You can reuse the domes and gardens year after year and just reorder the caterpillars or larvae. The children are just amazed at the whole process!

**For an update on the butterflies, click here and scroll to the end of the bat post!**

1 comment:

Carrie M. said...

I've never seen/heard the Butterfly song before...very cute! I will definitely be using this in class this year.