Monday, August 19, 2013

Ten Little Monkeys {Class Display}

It's been a long time since I've done a class display, so I couldn't wait to get this up on the wall. We are learning about monkeys this week, so I decided to turn my kiddos into jumping monkeys! First I found some monkey clip art that I liked. I mostly traced them onto white paper, but I also had to draw a little myself to get them exactly how I wanted them. After making copies, the kids used watercolors to paint them. There were three monkeys from which they could choose. Then I took a picture of each child making a monkey face (ha!) and cut it out and attached it to their monkey.
(These pictures were taken at nap time, so forgive me if they aren't so great.) I cut the faces into "heart" shapes on the top and made sure to cut the kids' ears off, since they already have ears on their monkeys. Then I laminated them to make them sturdier. Some kids just smiled when I took their picture, but some made an ooh-ooh, ahh-ahh face, and one child even puffed his cheeks, which was adorable!
Then I made a bed out of poster board and construction paper. I used dot markers to decorate the bedding.
I displayed them in the hall with the title, "Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed."
Skinny hallways prevented me from getting a better picture of this. Sorry!
It turned out really cute and, as always, the kids love seeing themselves whenever we walk by!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just LOVE your blog. I look at it all the time, it helps me come up with ideas for crafts for my Toddler class. :)

I am doing Jungle next week and thought some cute monkeys would be good. Love this idea!!

Where did you find the monkey template?? I can't seem to fid a good one!
Thanks!

-Jamie

Betsy said...

Thank you, Jamie! We actually did our jungle theme last week, but I'm behind on blogging about it. :) Here is one of the monkeys I used:
http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-cute-monkey-cartoon-hanging-illustration-image33242603
(I drew in a tail.)
This one is similar to one of mine, but it's not exactly the same one:
http://www.toonvectors.com/clip-art/monkey-hanging-black-and-white-line-art/25101
And here's the other one:
http://cutcaster.com/vector/901756518-Monkey-cartoon-hanging/
I didn't buy any of these. I just printed them out and traced them onto other paper. If you e-mail me, I can give you my templates.
Have fun!