Monday, May 20, 2013

Caterpillar Cuties

We are studying the life cycle of a butterfly this week. Last week I brought in caterpillars from Insect Lore and when we showed up to school this morning, they were all in their chrysalises! Today I taught the children all about caterpillars and then we did an easy art project.
 We used Dixie cups to make circle prints on our paper.

I think K-cups would be better because the smaller size would have allowed us to make more prints. But I didn't have any, so Dixie cups it was. I reminded the kids to make sure all their circle prints touched so their caterpillars wouldn't lose any body parts! Once the paint was dry, we used makers to add facial features and legs and anything else we wanted.
They turned out very cute!


This next one has "fake eyes" on all it's body parts to scare away predators (according to the boy who drew it)!

Fun Fact: Caterpillars have 12 eyes.

1 comment:

Carolyn Kisloski said...

Hi Betsy!
I just found your blog and actually your adorable hermit crab craft you posted LONG ago! I love your blog and your great ideas! I put a link to your craft on my blog post about House for Hermit Crab. I'd love you to stop over and follow my blog if you get a chance! :) Thanks for sharing the great ideas!
Carolyn
Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together