Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Wonderland Class Display

I haven't been around much lately. Because of the holidays, I've had some days off and the days I did work we just did simple projects. But I was looking through some pictures on my computer from years ago and found an old class display that I thought I could share with you. This is from so long ago that I never took a picture of the completed display. It wasn't until several years later, when I dug it out of my basement, that I decided to take a picture just so I'd remember it. Then I threw it away. So I will try my best to describe how I did it, but I have no step-by-step pictures or anything. Here it is on my living room carpet:
I used white fleece and covered it with that sparkly, snow-like material. I cut two hills from it, overlapping one with the other. I cut out a little peanut-shape from the sparkly layer, and put in some blue material topped with a silvery see-through material. This would be an ice skating pond. I cut out all the clothes from felt. I also added a snowman and snowballs using styrofoam balls cut in half. I cut out a snow angel shape from the sparkly layer so just the white fleece would show. And the felt tree has little beads for ornaments. I took a picture of each child and glued on the heads.

 
When I hung it up outside our classroom, I used a starry night material for the top, so it looked like all the kids were playing on snow hills at night. And I titled it Winter Wonderland. I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the complete project, but I made this about 8 or 9 years ago. Long, long before Tippytoe Crafts. But I hope these pictures will be enough to give you an idea of what it was like, and maybe inspire other teachers. I don't think I'd do it again, because it took a long time making all the clothes. But it didn't cost me a cent. All the felt and material was from my scrap piles.

 
I remember everyone oohing and ahhing over it. This may have been my very first "class display." Now I try to make them a little simpler, and have more of the kids' work in them, instead of just mine. But it is really fun to come up with different ways to show off my class!

No comments: