Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coffee Filter Snowflakes

I've been a little quiet this week, but that's because this project took a few days to complete. We started by folding a coffee filter in half, then in half again, then in half one more time. The kids cut out little designs in the sides and ends, being careful not to cut all the way across.

They were so excited to open up the filter to see their snowflake! I added their picture to the middle and laminated them so they wouldn't be so fragile.
Then I used glitter glue to add some sparkle around their picture. The kids then decorated their snowflake with sequins.
And lots and lots of glue, as you can see above.
For those kids who weren't in school on the day we did this, I put the sequins on mini glue dots for them. Then they just peeled them off and stuck them on the snowflake. That way I didn't have to wait another day for them to dry. I was eager to get up my display! I wrote "Every one different, every one special." And I explained to the kids that no two snowflakes are alike, just like no two people are alike.

We are learning about winter this week so I brought in pictures of real snowflakes that I found online here. I cut them in half and laminated them so the kids could play a matching game.
 Some were easy. some were hard.
But they enjoyed it and were surprised to see what snowflakes really look like!
Check out our Rainbow Snowflakes from last year!

No comments: