Friday, August 9, 2013

Science Fun + Art

This past week was all about science experiments. I decided to compile them all together for you. We started the week off with a bang -- Exploding Cola! I took the kids outside and dropped a bunch of Mentos into diet coke. I barely got out of the way in time! I recorded it on my camera and then took some snapshots from the video for you.




Then we made some "exploding" dot art. I normally tell the kids not to slam down the dot art markers because it might ruin the sponge tip, but this time I said it was okay. It turned out very cool!
On Tuesday we did the ol' water and oil trick. They each made their own bottles.
The oil became cloudy after the kids shook them up. I'm not sure why that happened. I made the big one and mine never became cloudy. Oh well, the kids didn't seem to mind! On Wednesday we did the Walking Water experiment. I put blue water in one container, yellow water in another container and put an empty container between the two. Then I folded up some paper towels and made the "bridges."
Within a few hours, the paper towels were colored, but there wasn't water in the middle container yet.
After nap, the kids awoke to some green water!
I decided to leave it overnight, and this is what it looked like in the morning:
On Thursday I put a bunch of baking soda in a bucket and the kids used droppers to add colored vinegar.


They loved how it foamed up! For art, we decided to use droppers as well. I added some water to tempera paint and then we dropped the paint onto paper.

We ended the week with Sink or Float, but I didn't get any pictures of that.
I hope you enjoyed my recap. It was a fun week!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Looks like a great week!! I hope you will stop by Sharing Saturday and share with us!