Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mount Rushmore Heads

This week my class is taking a road trip across the United States. First stop: Mount Rushmore! I've been there myself, so I was able to bring in all my pictures. A girl in my class has also been there and she brought in her pictures as well. I taught the kids a little bit about the four presidents and then showed them what the craft would be. I got this idea from somewhere, but I have not been able to find that website again. I first found it about 4 or 5 years ago, so maybe it's no longer up. I wish I could find it to give proper credit, but I will show you our craft and maybe one of you will recognize it and can tell me where it's from.
First I found pictures of the four presidents that were highly pixelated so they'd resemble rock carvings. (At least to me they do.)
After printing them out, I taped them to construction paper to make them sturdy, then cut them out. The kids then had to decide which president they wanted to be, and then they colored the OTHER 3 presidents. (This was a little difficult to understand. "But I want to be Washington! Why can't I color Washington?" But they soon figured it out.)
I cut the middle out of paper plates, and stapled the president heads onto the plate in the correct order, using the plate as the "missing" president. Then the kids stuck their heads through the plate! Here's our Washington:
Our Jefferson:
Our Roosevelt:
And our Lincoln:
I also taped a craft stick onto the plate, but it was still pretty floppy. A jumbo craft stick would probably work better. We spent all day practicing the names of the presidents so the kids could go home and tell their parents!
I was planning on giving you the name of the website where I found the president heads, but that's no longer available, so I scanned mine in. I'm leaving them full size so you should be able to print them any size you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's great!! We're doing a road trip across the US too but we haven't gotten to Mount Rushmore yet. This will come in handy!

Betsy said...

Glad you like it, LeighAnn!

skubby1@aol.com said...

I am so blessed I fell upon your site. It is awesome. I love everyhing you do. It's all about the kids and that's what is important. I love this idea and am going to use it for our first week of summer camp in July. Just love it. Thank you and keep up the great work. Your kids in your care are so truly blessed. Can't wait to see what you do next. God Bless. Mrs. Valerie of Happy Days Preschool in CA